Friday, March 7, 2008

Anything But A Mullet

Throughout my life, I have made it a point to avoid bad haircuts by staying with a hair barber that is familiar with me. As a kid, I was once forced to receive a horrendous cut at a Supercuts, and ever since I have been very careful and have stuck with a New Haven old-school Italian barber for years. Not once did I even get a haircut in Philly during my college career.

My first haircut in China was disappointing -when you cut off most of my hair, my receding hairline becomes very visible. My second haircut was in a Korean barber shop given by a guy with dreds with all sorts of weird objects sticking out of them - when you give a westerner an Asian haircut, your basically giving him a mullet. I was depressed.

Finally, I found Xiao Peng. This young Chinese man who has a shop in my apartment complex has learnt to cut Western hair by watching Hollywood movies. He is always eager to hear what occasion brings me to his place of business (usually a new job or holiday) and after 15 minutes of sitting and chatting in this makeshift filthy room with hair everywhere, mirrors loosely tapped to walls, and family members running in and out as they please, I have a fresh new look. After a quick wash, he accepts 3 dollars, and we say our goodbyes until another 3 months pass.

I've been his customer for over a year and no longer dread the inevitable haircut - I suppose I can officially call Beijing home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Can you tell me where to find Xiao Peng?? I am wandering around Beijing in search of a good hair dresser!! thanks :)

Brad said...

I'm sorry - I wish I could tell you but you are "anonymous" and in China that means you can be anybody and I don't want anybody in China who has read my blog talking to my hairdresser if you know what I mean - it's sad but it is what it is.... good luck